You are here: Home Study Programs International Outgoing Freemover


Self-organized study abroad.

Students can also apply directly to a foreign university of their choice as so-called "freemovers". The prerequisite is that the university at which you would like to study accepts visiting international students or non-degree seeking international students. This means that you have to apply for a place at the university yourself and also pay the tuition fees (international students often pay higher tuition fees than local students). If you would like to obtain additional funding, e.g. from the DAAD, you may have to expect long lead times. If you only need a place to study, the lead times are often shorter than for ERASMUS or direct exchange.

Planning, applying, financing and the implementation of your stay abroad is done independently - but the International Coordinator will be happy to advise and support you with your plans.


  1. Check whether the university of your choice accepts visiting international students who are not nominated by a partner university. Find out about the formal admission requirements, the application procedure and the tuition fees.
  2. The DAAD offers a search engine  including financial support opportunities and country information. In addition, you will find a lot of useful information about studying abroad on the DAAD website.
  3. Find out whether the courses offered actually meet your expectations.
  4. If you make inquiries to the university of your choice, please indicate your status at your home university (Bachelor/Master) and which courses at which level (undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate) you would like to attend.
  5. For the application itself, a transcript in English and proof of knowledge of the language(s) of instruction are expected. (Language certificate, if necessary TOEFL or IELTS test).
  6. Prior to the semester abroad, the selection of courses at the host university and the corresponding recognition of examination achievements should be clarified with the International Coordinator and, if necessary, in the context of a preliminary inquiry with the evaluators and, if necessary, recorded in writing (Learning Agreement).
  7. As a "freemover" you can also apply for approval for a semester of leave.


If your application is accepted, you should clarify, among other things:

  • Re-registration and, if necessary, leave of absence
  • If necessary, visa (study permit) - can take longer!
  • If necessary, vaccination certificate
  • International health insurance (possibly double insurance for short-term visits to Germany during the stay abroad). In the EU countries the European health insurance card is sufficient.
  • Private liability and accident insurance
  • International Student Identity Card (AStA)

Further useful information:


Document Actions