You are here: Home Study Programs Economics (Master) Information for Incoming Students Arriving and Living in Bonn

Arriving and Living in Bonn

Below you find information on several issues relevant for preparing your stay in Bonn. For more detailed information on accommodation, visa, health insurance, enrollment, etc. you may also want to check out the pages of our central International Office: Before Studying.

Weisser Kasten.jpgAccommodation/Housing

Accomodation housing

The Studierendenwerk (an organisation providing social, financial and other support services for students in Germany) runs the majority of the dormitories in Bonn. Presently, the demand for these rooms is not very high and you should be able to get a room by applying directly. More information is on their webpage.

Alternatively, we can support all international Master students in finding a room.

You can apply for a room of the Studierendenwerk through us by

  1. filling in our form;
  2. following the next steps described in the e-mail you will receive. We will give you detailed information about how to apply online and how to pay the deposit;
  3. paying a 900 Euro deposit (required by the Studierendenwerk) which will be refunded once you have signed the rental agreement and paid the first month's rent for your room to the Studierendenwerk.

Weisser Kasten.jpgApplication deadlines: July 31 (for move-in on October 1) and August 31 (for move-in on November 1st).

You can find an overview of the dormitories on the Studierendenwerk's webpage (some sections are, unfortunately, in German only).

Finally, you can find useful information regarding short-term accommodation, shared housing, student flats, and dorms run by other institutions on the webpage of the University's International Office.


Weisser Kasten.jpgSome words of warning:

  1. Even though we are able to reserve a contingent of rooms, there is no guarantee that you will actually be allotted a room as there may be not enough for everybody. We will try to both inform and support you as best as we can;
  2. Please note that neither you nor we can influence the odds of you receiving a room, as the Studierendenwerk is in charge of the allocation process;
  3. You will be asked where you would prefer to obtain housing. This, however, is only for technical reasons. In case you obtain housing, you will be offered a room irrespective of your preference and you will have to accept the room assigned to you;
  4. The chances of receiving a room by applying directly to the Studierendenwerk, and not through us, are close to zero;
  5. For the above-mentioned reasons, please be prepared to also look for private accommodation on your own.


Registration with the city of Bonn

Once you have found a place to stay, you need to register with the Residents’ Registration Office (Bürgeramt). In order to register, you need to bring along your rental agreement and your passport. Students with a room or an apartment in downtown Bonn can register at the Bürgeramt im Stadthaus. You can find more information (in German) on their webpage and also an online form for making an appointment (Terminvereinbarung) but you can also go there without appointment. We will provide assistance for international students seeking to register with the city.




Aliens office (Ausländeramt)

All international students need a valid residence permit: Students with a visa that is valid throughout their stay do not need to register with the Aliens office (Ausländeramt), all others do. You can find a map (Stadtplan) and more information (in German only) on the webpage of the aliens office. There is also an online form (in German) to make an appointment (Terminvereinbarung). We will also provide assistance for international students at the aliens office.

In order to get the residence permit, please bring a valid passport, admission letter or proof of registration from the university, proof of registration form the Bürgeramt, proof that you can support yourself financially, student visa (not applicable for EU citizens), and proof of sufficient health insurance.


Health insurance

In Germany, all students are required by law to have health insurance. EU citizens or students form countries that have signed a social security agreement with Germany can take out health insurance in their home country, this insurance will be recognized in Germany. Please double-check with your insurance company and with the Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK) in Bonn whether you are sufficiently covered.

All other students need to take out a German health insurance policy. You can do so with an insurance company of your choice. Several insurance companies are located in downtown Bonn, e.g. AOK, Barmer Ersatzkasse,Techniker Krankenkasse. Health insurance costs amount to about 100 Euro per month. Make sure to bring your certificate of admission to the Master program along when applying for health insurance.


Weisser Kasten.jpg

Usually, representatives of health insurance companies are present at the Studierendensekretariat during the registration period and you would be able to get a health insurance contract then. However, as this is not an option during the Corona pandemic, you will need to contact them beforehand: Techniker Krankenkasse (TK); AOK;


You can find more information on the topic on the webpage of the international office.


Bank Account


Bank account

Since most payments can only be made through bank transfers, you will need to open a German bank account, more specifically a current account or checking account (Girokonto). You can open such an account after having registered with the Residents Registration Office (Bürgeramt) with a bank of your choice or with the post office. In most cases the basic account is free of charge for students.




Living in Bonn

For more programs and activities organized by the International Office for all international students of the University of Bonn, ranging from the study buddy program which will provide you with a German study buddy familiar with the university via the help desk to the program of the international club, please visit the homepage for international students. Additional information can be also found in the “Guide for International Students”.


Photos: Pixabay


Document Actions