Students can also apply directly to a foreign university of their choice as a so-called "freemover". The prerequisite is that the university at which you would like to study accepts visiting international students or non-degree seeking international students. This means that you have to apply for a place at the university yourself and also pay the tuition fees (international students often pay higher tuition fees than domestic students). If you would like to obtain additional funding, e.g. through the DAAD, you may have to reckon with long lead times. If you only need the study place, however, the lead times are often shorter than with ERASMUS or the direct exchange.

Planning, application, financing and implementation of your study abroad stay are done independently – but the international coordinator will be happy to advise and support you in your plans.

Avatar Hübner-Monien

Sabine Hübner-Monien


  1. Check if your desired university accepts visiting international students who are not nominated through a partner university. Find out about the formal admission requirements, the application procedure and the tuition fees.
  2. The DAAD offers a search engine including financial funding opportunities and country information. In addition, you will find a great deal of useful information on the subject of studying abroad on the DAAD website.
  3. Find out whether the course offered actually meets your expectations.
  4. When submitting requests to the university of your choice, please indicate your status at your home university (bachelor's/master's) and which courses at which level (undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate) you would like to take.
  5. For the application itself, a transcript in English and proof of knowledge of the language(s) of instruction are expected, among other things. (Language certificate, TOEFL or IELTS test if applicable).
  6. Prior to the semester abroad, the selection of courses at the host university and the corresponding recognition of examination achievements should be clarified with the coordinator abroad and if necessary, within the framework of a preliminary inquiry with the evaluators and, if necessary, recorded in writing (Learning Agreement).
  7. Even as a "freemover" you can apply for approval of a semester off.

Once your application is accepted, you should clarify, among other things:

  • Enrollment and if necessary, leave of absence
  • If necessary, visa (study permit) – can take longer!!!
  • Proof of vaccination if necessary
  • International health insurance (possibly double insurance for short-term visits to Germany during the stay abroad). In EU countries the European health insurance card is sufficient.
  • Private liability and accident insurance
  • International Student Card (AStA).
Wird geladen